What is IACS?
- Founded in 1976, IACS is a not-for-profit 501(c)4 organization. All board members/officers serve in a volunteer capacity.
- Our primary function is to represent Christian schools in public policy both by tracking legislation/public policy to provide information to member schools, as well as advocating on behalf of our member schools in the Iowa Legislature. IACS also educates Iowans on the benefits of school choice programs and Christ-centered education, helping build a culture of educational excellence and school choice in Iowa.
- IACS is the ONLY organization in Iowa serving as the public policy voice for Iowa’s Protestant Schools and the only organization that specializes in the unique needs of these schools.
- IACS has contracted with Eric Goranson of Goranson Consulting, Inc. for an tenth consecutive year to lobby for Christian education in 2016.
How will that activity benefit your school?
Through legislative updates, IACS will provide you with information about legislation that will affect your school.
For 40 years, IACS has lobbied successfully on behalf of Christ-centered schools in Iowa. IACS has been instrumental in lobbying for:
- Independent Accreditation passed in 2013 with “sunset” provision removed in 2016!
- Tuition Tax Credit (raising the limit from $50 to $250).
- Increased textbook funding. Worked successfully with school choice partners in 2010 to expand funding to include classroom instructional technology.
- Transportation dollars for parents who transport their students to school or to provide busing to private schools.
- The Educational Opportunities Act, which funds our School Tuition Organizations (STOs). We worked with coalition partners to dramatically expand this program over multiple years. This program has brought needed resources to many of our member schools through scholarships to eligible families.
Your IACS dues get a BIG bang for your buck!
IACS has also lobbied against legislation that would place an undue burden on our schools or conflict with our values, including:
- We oppose numerous unfunded mandates each year. Almost every unfunded mandate we successfully oppose (which is most of them) saves your school considerably more than your IACS dues.
- The option of Special Accreditation for College Preparatory Schools has been under attack and is at risk of being capped and/or eliminated. IACS leads the way in organizing schools involved and will continue to fight for all school-choice issues.
- We lobby against bills that are incompatible with our role and mission as Christ-centered schools (ie: bullying bill, sex-ed mandates, social issue regulations incompatible with our mission(s), etc.). We continue to fight for the rights of schools even after laws have been enacted. We often work with schools to resolve conflicts and issues arising from laws or administrative rules that violate our schools’ mission.
IACS also maintains a great working relationship with the Iowa Alliance/Advocates for Choice in Education, the Iowa Catholic Conference, Professional Educators of Iowa, N.I.C.H.E., and other like-minded organizations willing to work together for parental rights and choice in education.
Does IACS benefit non-accredited schools?
Absolutely!! We provide all schools a voice in promoting the value of Christian education and parental choice in education. We need EVERY Christian school to be involved! Make sure your voice is heard!
Does IACS benefit Preschools?
Absolutely!! We have a history of working with our member schools’ preschool programs. We are exploring ways to help other preschools moving forward.